3.09.2009

TOO FAST






We had a great weekend but it just blew by. Maybe it was the nice weather. Maybe it was going to a concert on Friday. I don't know. But that one disappeared like Kaiser Soze.

Friday night I had the amazing opportunity to see the Handsome Furs at the Mercury Lounge with the dudes. And before the show we decided to hit one of my favorite places from the old neighborhood - Tara Thai. Love the people at this place and the food is always top notch. I can't remember what James and E. Noonz had, but I think Matt had a shrimp pad thai with no egg? That sounds right. I had some southern noodles that were nice and spicy. Sorta like a pad thai but with a bit of that woon sen bbq taste. Very nice.

Saturday night we hit Park Slope for a bit of fun with Dan and Steve. Steve had some previous plans so after a few glasses of wine and some of Dan's hummus, we hit AOC Bistro on 5th Ave. for a bit of the French cuisine. Dan had a wonderful lamb sausage sandwich with some harissa and fries. Meena had:
- mussels + frites

Alec had:
- poached tuna with egg, peppers anchovies and salad on a baguette

Pretty awesome. All those ingredients are just perfect for my palate and I can't wait to get to France next fall. I'm going to eat like this every day. Meena's mussels were pretty solid. Not the best ever, but not bad, either. Her fries seemed a bit weird, but she liked them if memory serves. I don't know why I'm calling them weird. They just seemed like that double fried variety that MAYBE came out of a bag. But probably not. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Sunday morning I made my new favorite breakfast. It doesn't look like much but MAN OH MAN is it good. It included:
- florida avocado
- onion
- olive oil
- mushrooms
- egg
- sea salt
- black pepper
- parmesan

With a bit of the sriracha ... man. This is like 20 bites of pure heaven. Just that silky avocado mixed with the egg and parmesan? Oh man. It's probably not good for you at all but it's what diamonds would probably taste like if you could just bite into one.

Sunday night we wrapped up the weekend with a bit of pizza. Similar to our previous efforts. Fresh Direct crust, touched up with some homey goodness on the pizza stone:
- corn meal
- serrano peppers
- pork shoulder
- mozzarella
- roasted garlic marinara
- mushrooms
- white onion
- olive oil
- sea salt
- black pepper
- parmesan

I like this pizza. VERY much. The pork got just a bit crispy on the edges. And the stone got the crust just right ... a bit bouncy on the inside and crispy and flecked with cornmeal on the bottom. Awesome. The peppers gave it just the right amount of heat and the cheese, oil and mushrooms provided that rich and silky base. WHEW. We're getting better and better with the pizza around here. Watch out, we're just going to make more. If ever there were something worth getting good at, I'm guessing this is probably it.

No comments: