1.21.2007

BRAISED NOT BOILED



Yesterday was about as bitter cold in NY as we've seen it this season, so a little comfort food seemed pretty vital. I had recently seen an advertorial (yes, an ADVERTORIAL) in Gourmet that was singing the praises of braising. A little pot-roasty type dish just felt perfect, so we went with it.

After browning some roast meat on the stove, I threw the following in a pot and let it simmer in the oven for a couple hours:
- carrots
- onions
- porcini mushrooms
- korean chili peppers
- beef broth
- browned roast meat

When everything was sufficiently tender, I threw a bit of the braising liquid on the stove with some soy sauce and sugar and reduced it to a syrup. I threw in some reserved mushrooms at the end and dressed the top of the bowls with it. Gave it a nice little glow and some really concentrated pops of flavor. Meena also cooked up a little wild rice that we dropped in the center of the two bowls.

Before I threw the rest in the fridge, I reduced the remainder of the braising liquid a little less than half and poured it over everything. I just felt like it was better that way.

Anyway, I think we both really enjoyed everything. It was perfect for a lazy saturday night spent on the couch with lots of blankets and a couple scary movies.

No comments: