1.29.2007

JUST LIKE OLD TIMES



When I was a kid, few things were greater than a pot of Dad's chili simmering on the stove throughout a frigid Sunday afternoon in January. All the stress of another school week and the bitter cold walk to the bus the next morning melted away when the big dutch oven came out and the spices filled the kitchen air.

Typically Meena isn't a huge fan of the chili, so when she gave me the nod of approval yesterday morning, I realized I needed to act quickly or the opportunity would fade. After a little brunch with our friend Ali, we made our way to the store and secured all the wonderfully simple ingredients.

I know I don't usually include cooking directions, but this one is pretty much the easiest thing ever. You just brown some meat and let the thing cook for hours. Our pot included:
- ground sirloin
- samuel smith's oatmeal stout
- crushed tomatoes
- kidney beans
- carrots
- onions
- garlic
- serrano peppers
- cumin
- smoked paprika
- salt
- balsamic vinegar
- green onions

After a couple hours of low heat on the stove, this thing was just singing with flavor. I think we both stole a few bites every time we walked through the kitchen.

We also threw a little dollop of sour cream in at the very end just to give it a true Midwest finish. A dusting of shredded cheddar cheese also made this thing feel exactly like a bowl full of home.

No comments: