2.18.2007

MERCURY LEVELS



We had a very lazy Saturday. Mostly because we have Monday off and we had nothing on the schedule. Anyway, it was great.

After we managed to get cleaned up and venture beyond the front door, we went down to Chinatown to pick up some salmon for dinner. I was seriously considering buying a whole fish and having them fillet it, but I wasn't looking to drop $25 bucks on fish yesterday. So we just grabbed a nice tail fillet and hit Gracefully for some other ingredients on the way home.

While I was getting some potatoes ready for mashing, I made us a quick appetizer with some of the salmon cut away from the fillets I had marinating. These little bites included:
- salmon
- tandori spice mix
- field greens
- sour cream
- chili paste
- salt
- pepper
- flour tortilla rounds

I think we both agreed they were wonderful. For a couple little bites that took all of five minutes to whip up, these were a massive hit. Look for them at the next dinner party we throw. They look sorta’ pretty and they taste divine.

The main course was another random concoction that didn't really materialize in my brain until I saw some stuff at the grocery. I knew Meena wanted mashed potatoes and that was about it. So we just picked up a few things and my imagination started running.

There were three distinct elements to the main dish. All were obviously essential to the end product, but I made them in three batches so I'll describe them that way.

Wasabi mashed potatoes:
- baby yukon gold potatoes
- wasabi powder
- low fat sour cream
- olive oil

Pan roasted salmon:
- salmon fillets
- rice vinegar
- olive oil
- soy sauce

Mushroom salad:
- shiitake mushrooms
- dried korean seaweed (re-hydrated)
- red chili pepper
- field greens
- garlic
- olive oil
- rice vinegar
- soy sauce
- sesame seeds

I was pretty impressed with the flavor of this one and Meena's reaction seemed to support this judgment. I was a little disappointed in the presentation (everything was just stacked) but the flavor was through the roof. The mushroom and seaweed salad was sweet and tart with a hint of nice spice. The salmon was cooked just through and wasn't dry or tough. The mashed potatoes were creamy and smooth and spiced just right. I was nervous I'd go overboard with the wasabi, but Meena confirmed I hit the mark that's hot enough for me and not overbearing for her.

It was the perfect meal to get us ready for a concert with Snowden around the corner at the Mercury lounge (the show was great, BTW). I have little doubt that this one will likely find its way back to our table.

No comments: