2.17.2007

HAPPY DiBIRTHDAY


In honor of D's glorious (number removed) birthday, we did a tiny spread at the house and then worked our way over to Lil' Frankies. I didn't know this, but Diana had actually wanted to try the 73 East 3rd St. staple, the lovely little pizzetta. Diana actually reads this blog! Who knew this was being consumed by someone other than Meena. Anyway, she was in luck because that's exactly what we wanted to make for them.

I'm not going to detail all the individual ingredients because I'll be honest ... I had one of those giant PBR cans while I was cooking and I can't really remember what was what. I just know what I started with:
- flour tortillas
- tomato sauce
- balsamic reduction
- ricotta
- fresh mozzarella
- field greens
- parmesan
- barbecue sauce
- soppresatta (I cooked half the pile to make it crisp)
- pepper
- brie

I'm pretty sure that was it. Anyway, we had some nice wine from Tinto Fino (James had some Vitamin water of the peach variety) and slowly made our way to Frankies.

In true Lil' Frankies fashion, Meena was immediately lured to the rigatoni with baby meatballs. Her fantastic review lead James and D to actually order the same.

I went with the pizza marinara (couldn't finish, brought a large portion home!) and for once, the waiter DID NOT ask me if I wanted to add cheese. It was eerie. But it came out wonderful as always.

I think James and D totally loved theirs. I mean, there's not much to dislike when it comes to delicious baby meatballs and rigatoni in a thick sauce, but you know, I guess it might not be for EVERYONE. But they loved it. I'm positive.

We came back to the apartment for some cava (again from Tinto Fino) and some delicious crumb cupcakes. The upper west side delight is available at our corner coffee shop and Meena picked up a couple in lieu of a cake for D.

I think everyone was super pleased with all the food and drink.

It's so wonderful to have a lazy Friday night with friends. Thanks James and D! AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

No comments: