3.23.2007

KOREAN CHIC



Another Thursday, another Men's Journal event! I can't lie ... the last one was a lot more fun. This one was in a clothing store in SoHo and while the drinks and tapas were there, the space also featured really bright lights and thermometer busting temperatures. It was sorta painful. But it was important we all turn out so I brought Meena along for the ride.

Fortunately, we were right across the street from a Korean restaurant we'd tried once before. And enjoyed once before. So we dashed across the street (it was raining) and decided to give Woo Lae Oak another spin.

The place is so typical SoHo. For those of you who don't know ... it's just really sceney. Which is great if you're into that. I just don't happen to be. The place itself is really, really nice, it's mostly just the patrons who make it that way. I'm not sure why. Just the nature of the neighborhood I guess. Anyway.

So we got started with the typical Korean starter plates. Tonight we had broccoli, pickled radish, kimchee and marinated cucumbers. They also gave us a simple lettuce salad with a spicy sort of Korean dressing.

For a main course, Meena had:
- bok kum bop (steamed rice sautéed with diced vegetables and beef)

Alec had the:
- dol sot bi bim bop (crisped rice served with julienned carrot, daikon, assorted vegetables and beef)

The food was really solid. Again, the vibe in there was a little over the top, but they definitely deliver on the food. But then, a lot of the Korean places I eat here in the city are pretty consistent. I'm not sure I need to go back into that scene to get the same thing ... that's all I'm saying.

But it was really good. Very delicious for a rainy Thursday night!

NOTE: WLO ... I jacked your photos. SORRY!

No comments: