7.19.2007

MATT'S IN THE HOUSE




Last night we had our good friend Matty Chaymez over for a bit of the Top Chef and some light eats. I'm working on this miserable project at work and didn't get out quite as fast as I would have liked, so I quickly hit Whole Foods on the way home and got cooking as soon as I rolled up on 73 E. 3rd.

Matt's a great eater with a curious palate, but he doesn't eat meat or dairy. So I had to make sure I didn't get any of that stuff in there. The meat was tricky. I cook with that a lot. But then again, I cook with fish just as much. So whatever. Not tricky. I don't ever really use butter. That wasn't a problem. Really, this wasn't much of a challenge!

Our first course was a salmon cake:
- salmon
- sesame oil
- black sesame seeds
- salt
- black pepper
- panko
- garlic
- jalapeƱo
- avocado
- red wine vinegar
- cabbage slaw (from Whole Foods ... I cheated!)

And our main course was a nice salmon with couscous:
- salmon fillets
- salt
- black pepper
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- cherries
- dried cherries
- couscous
- white wine

Everyone seemed to enjoy the meal. I liked the salmon cake with the avocado. Some o' that good fat as they say. The main course was nice. Little heavy on the balsamic. I need to figure out a way to cut it a little. Our dessert was courtesy of Mr. Matty Chaymez. On his way down he hit Birdbath, a storied little bakery we only recently learned about (at dinner with everyone the previous night!). The cookies were fantastic. Matt had the vegan one ... we had the high octane. Tons of butter. Totally excellent. Thanks, Matt!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks y'all