4.06.2008

RETURN OF THE RIB




After another afternoon Yankees game and some general errands around Brooklyn today, Meena and I made a stop at the butcher to pick up a few things for the week. And from our little meat shopping spree, we decided to hold back a slab of baby back ribs for tonight.

I haven't ever made baby back ribs but for some reason, they looked super delicious sitting in the deli case. I know not why, but I was magically drawn to them. I needed them. I didn't know what I wanted to do with them, but I just decided they would be mine.

I did a little searching around on the internuts and landed on a few recipes. I didn't have all the stuff the joints called for but I figured I could get close enough so I dove in and started whisking and mixing and came up with a few nice results.

I started with some Chinese BBQ Baby Back Ribs seen HERE:
- baby back ribs
- hoisin
- garlic
- soy
- thai red curry paste
- honey
- olive oil

And I did this salad I saw HERE:
- kale
- lemon
- olive oil
- garlic
- sea salt
- pepper
- ricotta salata

Oh man. I haven't had ribs in a long time and these were a really wonderful welcome back to the party. The ribs baked for an hour and finished under the broiler and came out just peachy. They were juicy and delicious, packed with that lovely flavor of the various "Chinese" BBQ ingredients and positively sticky. Awesome for a dish that literally took slightly over an hour start to finish.

The salad was also pretty solid. Meena wasn't into the idea of the kale but ended up digging it. The dressing ended up being the perfect compliment to all that leafy green roughage. And to give a shout out to my man Jaime, it was a nice way to get a touch of veg on the plate.

Probably not the best meal for us, but whatever. It's Sunday night and we were just feelin' it.

No comments: