5.29.2008

AN IDEA



Claiming to love this meal would be an out and out lie. I didn’t. I didn’t love it all. I didn’t hate it. But I didn’t love it. I’m reasonably sure Meena felt the same. And although it’s totally my fault, there were a few circumstances that will allow me to hold my head high as I stride back into the kitchen tonight.

One, when I was envisioning this on the way home, I had dinner rolls in mind – not those terrible hot-dog rolls I was forced to use. And two … well, there isn’t a two. The rolls ruined it. I feel like I have something here. This just wasn’t it.

I have this idea to do mini muffaletta. And this wasn’t really a trial run, but maybe just … like sticking a toe in the water of the muffaletta pool. Anyway, I’ll get better before I unleash that monster.

So last night I started with a quick salad:
- sautéed green pepper
- sautéed white onion
- olive oil
- tomato
- field greens
- dressing (red curry paste, sesame oil and rice vinegar)

After the salad, I got the two sandwich versions cookin’. Well, not cookin’ literally. But I assembled them. Yes. Assemble. That’s what I did. I included this in the first round:
- whole wheat hot dog bun
- basil pesto
- tomato
- black forest ham
- swiss cheese

And round two featured:
- whole wheat hot dog bun
- field greens
- manchego
- balsamic vinegar
- tomato
- black forest ham

The first was better than the last. I liked the manchego, but I should have gone with my gut and done a balsamic reduction. And the buns were so bad that the second offering was so completely dry it almost wasn’t worth it.

Anyway, when the muffaletta comes around, hopefully I’ll have something a little more appetizing to share.

No comments: