9.11.2008

GROWN-UP GRILLED CHEESE




I was doing a quick scan of the food blog circuit last night before I came home and I cruised on by The Petite Pig. I hadn't checked it out in a minute, but when I went about halfway down, I saw a grown up grilled cheese she'd whipped up. And it looked amazing. And I knew then, nothing else would be acceptable on my dinner plate. A grilled cheese with some other stuff was 100% necessary.

So I made a quick stop by the organic grocery and picked up some gear. As soon as I got home, I got going with:
- peasant bread
- olive oil
- crimini mushrooms
- red cabbage
- red onion
- sea salt
- black pepper
- havarti cheese

And then I threw together a salad:
- field greens
- sea salt
- black pepper
- tomato
- red onion
- bleu cheese
- dressing (olive oil, garlic, sea salt, black pepper and lemon juice)

I can't front - this one was a winner. The grilled cheese (or toasted cheese as it's known in MY Indiana home) was amazing on the peasant bread and with the havarti, but the grilled mix of crimini mushrooms and red cabbage sent it to the next level. I kept the red onion raw which provided a big pop of flavor and an additional bit of crunch. Awesome.

The salad was good as well. I love this dressing. I know it's like ... THE MOST COMMON DRESSING EVER. But I love it. Those simple flavors are so, so good together and it makes any boring old bit of greens and veg shine very, very brightly.

I'll be making this one again. And again. And again.

No comments: