11.15.2008

SAUL



Well, I've found my favorite place in Brooklyn. That much has been solidified.

Last night we had a little husband and wife date night at a little spot down the street that we probably should have tried a long time ago. I'm not sure why we hadn't up until this point. It's always recommended. It's expensive, yes, but we've been to other expensive places here.

Oh well. Matters not why we waited so long. Just that we did and now I'm sorry. Because Saul is fantastic. Better than fantastic. It gave me one of the best meals I've had in a very long time.

We got things started with a salad that we shared. It was a lot of things but the main components were Berkshire pork belly and octopus. With it were some peppers, some grilled green onion, almonds and a vinegar-based dressing. Outstanding. One of the best salads I've had in ages. That's right. I used the word ages. I'm officially more than a geek - I'm an old geek.

Next, we moved into mains. Meena had a squab confit with homemade tagliatelle, beets and micro arugula. She wasn't a huge fan of the arugula or the beets, but I think she loved the dish overall. I know I loved all the little bites she let me sneak from her plate.

I had a roasted sea bass that was just nuts. There were clams, diakon foam, bacon lardons and all sorts of vegetables. Perfection. I loved every bite. A lot.

We capped the night off with their baked Alaska. Not such a huge fan of that one, but hey, you can't win them all. It wasn't bad ... just not as good as everything else we had.

So yeah. I can't even. You just have to go. Go try it. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: