12.30.2008

TWO NIGHTS IN A ROW



I skipped yesterday's post because we actually knew we were having the same thing two nights in a row. When we got home from Indiana on Sunday, I decided to whip up a huge batch of beef stew ... and there was plenty for the next couple dinners.

Nothing too interesting about the ingredient list. I started by browning some stew meat with:
- flour
- sea salt
- black pepper
- olive oil

Then I threw the meat in a nice mix of veggies and broth:
- red onion
- potato
- garlic
- carrot
- vegetable broth
- salt
- bbq sauce
- siracha
- honey
- crimini mushrooms

So the thing came out with a definite smoky barbecue flavor. Obviously due to the inclusion of the bbq sauce. But it was nice. I know I've had a couple recipes in the past that have called for hoisin that came out in a similar fashion. But those were a bit more salty and this one was a lot more smoky and sweet. Maybe a little better in my opinion.

Anyway, the second day, as to be expected, was a lot better than the first. Stews are just that way, right? The meat is more tender and the flavors have had a chance to meld.

I guess we'll probably call it quits tonight. Probably time for some pork chops ... I wonder how we'll prepare them ... hmmmmmm.

No comments: