3.01.2009

BEFORE THE SNOW












This weekend really seemed to pass in the blink of an eye. I know that's a pretty typical phenomenon, but it seemed unusually fast for some reason. I don't know why. We did a lot of the things we normally do but for whatever reason, looking back on Monday morning, it just felt a bit accelerated.

Anyway.

I didn't post a Thursday night post but I'll just mention it quickly. I had to stay out late for an event celebrating my former publisher. He moved on to another magazine so we did some drinks as a celebration. I got home really late, but Meena had saved a bit of deliciousness from Chance. Curry noodles, Chang's chicken, hot and sour soup. Niiiiice.

Friday night Meena wasn't feeling so hot so we decided to to order in some Indian from Bombay Dream. I think we'd ordered from here a few times in the past, but these guys really killed it on Friday. My chicken tikka and lamb vindaloo were both perfect. Chicken was spiced perfectly and just a touch dry. I know that's not the ideal with chicken in any other area of the culinary universe, but for some reason, I really appreciate chicken tikka a little dried out. The vindaloo was a bit spicy, but not liquid fire. I know I tend toward the super-human heat, but this was just right for a Friday. Meena had this weird chicken appetizer thing. Mali kebabs? I don't know. They weren't very good. I think Meena was OK with them. I thought they were sorta gross. Her chicken tikka masala more than made up for it. Perfect chicken and a lovely sauce.

Saturday night we went went over to 4th Ave's Sheep Station for Steveo's birthday drinks and decided to grab a bite before the main event. Meena had some fish and chips and I had a chook sandwich. Chook means chicken. I didn't know that. I guess Sheep Station is Australian. Anyway, Meena was the clear winner because her fish and chips were some of the best I've had in a long time. The fish was perfectly cooked and crisp and delicious on the outside. My chook was OK. Not great. It was essentially a lime and curry chicken salad on a bun. Which ... is actually just fine for me. Not perfect. But not bad.

Drinks were great. Dan brought some cupcakes. People had a blast. Happy birthday Steve!

I haven't been paying much attention to breakfast as of late, but I just wanted to mention this burrito/taco thing quickly because it was awesome. Chicken tikka masala, serrano peppers, eggs, onion, olive oil, salsa and sour cream. Oh, and a bit of cheddar. Wow. Awesome breakfast wrapped up in a warm flour tortilla.

Sunday night we used a bit of pork shoulder cooked in the method we've been using the last few times. Slow and low all morning. After it had been all broken down and shredded, we threw it with some Korean BBQ, pickles and sriracha and wrapped it all up in Boston lettuce leaves.

So. Good. So, so, so good.

Meena also threw in a bit of veg. She baked the following:
- red potatoes
- brussels sprouts
- sea salt
- garlic
- olive oil
- black pepper
- balsamic vinegar
- parmesan

Really lovely veg. The parm was grated super fine so it just melted into the veg and gave it this wonderful, buttery flavor. Simple preparation but such a refined taste. I loved it.

That's it!

No comments: