1.26.2007

UNWILLING TO LEAVE THE HOUSE





Last night it was cold. Today is even colder. But last night was one of those bitter nights when leaving the house just wasn't an option. And with all the wonderful restaurants offering delivery in this city, it's not like we were up against some insurmountable culinary dilemma.

Historically, I'm not a huge fan of La Palapa. I honestly think it's pretty overpriced for a Mexican place. It's good. I won't take that away from them. But I've also had lots of really delicious Mexican food that was super cheap. So I guess I just don't really see why I need to pay a ton of money for something I know I can find for less. But Meena's persuasive argument for this spot up on St. Marks won me over and we gave them a call.

Last night I went with the:
- al pastor de pork taco (roasted pineapple~chile rubbed pork)
- bistec taco (char-grilled marinated skirt steak)
- al pastor de pollo quesadilla (chile rubbed roasted chicken)

Meena had the:
- Enchiladas de pollo verdes (chicken enchiladas in a tomatillo green sauce with homemade queso fresco, Mexican crema and sweet vidalia onion)

While Meena's doesn't look all that beautiful in the photo, I can assure you the taste is without a doubt very lovely. I was pretty happy with my "Mexico City style" tacos. The pork was more or less a mass of meat rather than the carnitas I typically like to see, but the taste was great. The skirt steak taco was great with some of the amazing salsas they send along. The quesadilla was also greatly enhanced by the salsas.

Anyway, great night. Expect more of the same this evening ... it's peaking at 20 degrees out there right now!

No comments: