4.20.2007

FRUTTI DI MARE



We were rockin' straight seafood last night. Meena made a quick trip to Whole Foods before I got home to pick up some salmon and shrimp for an East Village seafood extravaganza.

Quick note about Whole Foods: I like it. I like it for the fish. I like it for the meat. But Gracefully, I love you. I'll be back to get all my other weird stuff from you. Just sayin'. Gracefully has always been there for me and I'm gonna keep going back.

Back to the food. Meena whipped together a delicious (and beautiful, right?) shrimp cocktail:
- shrimp
- cocktail sauce
- lemon
- thyme (for garnish)

Immediately following the starter, Meena went to work on some wasabi mashed potatoes:
- yukon golds
- wasabi powder
- cream
- butter

And then we did a wonderful salmon dish:
- salmon
- seaweed
- onion
- red bell pepper
- rice vinegar
- salt
- pepper
- sambal oelek
- sesame seeds

The potatoes and fish were wonderful together. This is an old recipe for us by now, but it's worth noting a subtle change: no mushrooms. We normally do shiitakes, but because we didn't have any, we just substituted red pepper and onion - to agreeable results, if you ask me. They are two different flavors, for sure, but this worked very well also. That vinegar pop with the slightly fiery wasabi? Wonderful.

No comments: