5.20.2007

THAT'S A SPICY CHICKEN


Today was a really good food day. From saam to that amazing sorbet stuff, we ate really well. Basically, what I'm trying to say is, the bar was set high for tonight's dinner. I had to go big if I was going to top all that other delicious stuff.

I read about this chutney in Cooking Light and thought it sounded nice. They also had a recipe for a Korean barbecue rub that I thought looked nice. With those two things in mind, I set out to whip up a chicken dish that would help us enjoy Tony and company.

This spicy little Korean inspired number featured:
- chicken breast
- Korean barbecue rub (brown sugar, garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, sambal oelek)
- red onion chutney (red onion, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, salt, mustard seeds, cumin)
- kale
- black sesame seeds
- shiitake mushrooms
- rice wine vinegar

This thing was exploding with sweet and spicy flavors. The Korean barbecue was really nice. It was a little thin (my fault ... I added more soy than was called for ... it just seemed too thick!), but after cooking in the pan, it thickened a bit. The chutney was out of this world. I'll make it a whenever I have the chance. And the kale and mushrooms were really nice as well.

This one is probably a new staple. Really easy to make. Really, really delicious.