12.17.2007

STEAK FRITES



Yesterday was cold. It was one of those days when I didn't even want to go outside. Not even for a minute. Meena had the right idea and slept in until very late. I don't possess that ability so I spent most of the morning working on some homework, reading cookbooks and writing some thank you notes.

But once the hunger pangs kicked in and I realized I had a brand new chef's knife I wanted to use, I figured if I bundled up in enough down and denim, I'd probably be OK to hit the butcher and Pacific Green.

It was still pretty miserable, but I made it out long enough to find some skirt steak and a few other supplies. Once everything was chopped and prepped, the steak sandwiches went a little like this:
- skirt steak
- salt
- whole grain flat bread
- chimichurri (cilantro, garlic, green onion, olive oil and salt)

I forgot the vinegar. I'm sorry about that. I'm sure it would have made the condiment better, but oh well. Next time.

I also threw together some nice big oven fries. Nothing elaborate:
- idaho potatoes
- salt
- dried basil

I served the fries with ketchup and a dijon mustard aoli. Not bad. I think Meena really enjoyed everything. I think we both finished up totally fat and totally full.

No comments: