4.09.2008

CHARRED ONIONS




Meena was at an event last night so I was home all by my lonesome with a little work to do. When she rolled up on 40, I decided to spring into action and cook up a little fish and attempt some onion rings I'd seen in Cooking Light.

I'll say this ... I need to do a lot of work on the rings before I get these joints right. I didn't follow the recipe (big surprise) and that obviously killed me a little. When I have some more time I'll try it again. But for now, I'm without that notch on my kitchen apron.

Anyway, I started with those suckers and they featured a batter:
- egg
- flour
- paprika
- cumin
- mustard
- sea salt
- black pepper

Then I covered them in breadcrumbs and baked. And they came out mostly uncoated with the crumbs. I should have used a big bag as directed but I didn't have one so I didn't. Whoops.

We also did a little sammich that featured:
- char fillets
- sea salt
- black pepper
- shiitake
- wasabi mayo
- sambal oelek
- turkish bread
- hoisin

The sandwich was awesome. No problems there. The mayo was creamy and spicy and the fish was simply cooked but packed with that smooth char flavor that's so lovely. Between a couple slices of crisp (but still a little soft in the center) Turkish bread - delightful.

No comments: