6.06.2008

THAT'S A SPICY POTATO



I’d been meaning to break these lamb chops out of the freezer for a day or two but work had bested me. Previous efforts, as you can see, lead to delivery and Lobo.

But last night was different. I got home at a reasonable hour and I was dead set on firing up the burners and making the apartment unreasonably hot. And that’s just what I did.

I started with the little lamb chops and gave them a bit of a rub:
- brown sugar
- cumin
- cinnamon
- sea salt

Then I just seared those suckers off on the insanely hot cast iron and after one flip and a bit more searing, they were in great shape.

I also threw together a bit of asparagus:
- asparagus
- lemon
- shallots
- olive oil
- asiago
- sea salt

And then finally finished everything off with a little mashed potato that featured an unusual kick:
- potato
- skim milk
- olive oil
- sea salt
- sambal oelek

Pretty awesome little bit of wonderful heat in those spuds. I don’t know why but I just thought they needed a little spice to compete with the creaminess and the decadent lamb. Turns out I was right.

The asparagus was great. Nothing out of the ordinary there. Just a simple preparation that turned out great.

No comments: