2.11.2009

BREAKFAST FOR DINNER?



I've been on this pancake kick I guess. I'm not sure why, but I've been thinking about savory pancakes. Maybe it has something to do with those really awesome seafood pancakes we've had at Korean restaurants. Maybe not. Regardless, I've had this penchant for pancakes over the last couple days and I devised a menu last night that used my battered friends quite prominently.

We had a little extra pork left from this weekend's slow braise so I decided to wrap the piggy up in a couple luxurious, spicy blankets. The pancakes included:
- buttermilk pancake mix
- canadian bacon
- green onion
- milk
- olive oil
- siracha

Once the pancakes came off the stove, I wrapped them around the filling:
- slow-braised pork butt
- mild salsa
- smoked mozzarella
- avocado

I topped each blanket with a dab of salsa and a mix of:
- fat-free sour cream
- sea salt
- black pepper
- lemon juice

I think these came out really well. It was like a slightly thicker crepe. A spicy, cake-like wrapper surrounding a pocket of lovely pork and avocado punctuated by that bit of smoke from the silky cheese. I'd cooked the bits of bacon and green onion before they went into the batter so they gave a nice little resistance and added bit of flavor in every bite.

So this is a fun little trend. About four or five years ago, I remember a similar love affair with Jiffy Corn Muffins. I remember throwing anything I could think of in those muffin tins. It was my canvas and I was free to paint with whatever colors I could find. It was fun. And I think I'm doing something similar with these pancakes. I'll try not to abuse it ... but look for a few more coming over the next few weeks. Just sayin' ...

No comments: