4.14.2009

EASTER RECAP // BACK IN THE BUILDING







Hello again! We're back from Milwaukee and I'm happy to report we had a very lovely time. We saw tons of family, watched a mountain of sports (even golf!) and had lots and lots and lots and lots of food. I think I packed on some poundage. I hope not but I think it's true.

Anyway, we started out Friday night at the Westmoor Club in Brookfield and I was treated to a hearty helping of that Wisconsin specialty I'd heard so much about over the years ... fried fish from a Friday night fish fry. This wasn't the church basement variety (which I'm told is the real deal, Holyfield) but I was pretty pleased with my walleyed pike and its crunchy shell. Meena had a mix of seafood including scallops, fried shrimp and fried haddock. She wasn't in LOVE with all of it, but I know the haddock was well received. Anyway, it was a fun night and I really enjoyed the chance to experience a Wisconsin tradition (partially) with Mr. & Mrs. Roell.

Saturday night we had part of the family over for a wonderful Italian feast capped off by a cake expertly decorated by my nieces. Mrs. Roell threw together a wonderful spaghetti with meat sauce while Kenton and Shauna mixed up a nice ceasar salad. I helped with a bit of bruschetta and Mrs. Roell finished it all off with some cheese and tomato in the oven. Delicious.

Sunday we had a lovely Easter spread capped off (in my opinion) by a delicious ham. I ate my weight in this ham and I believe I can pinpoint this as the source of those additional pounds. I'm pretty sure. Mrs. Roell also had green bean casserole, turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy. Oh, and rolls. So delicious. So plentiful. So awesome.

After a flight back to NY and my class in Midtown, I was back in Brooklyn enjoying an incredible Monday night taco night Meena had thrown together while I was learning. She ditched the "taco seasoning" and mixed up her filling the old fashioned way. She used:
- ground beef
- onion
- garlic
- cayenne pepper
- chili powder
- oregano
- cider vinegar
- brown sugar
- tomato sauce
- chicken broth
- cumin
- sea salt

Wow. Topped off with a bit of tomato, salsa, lettuce, sour cream, cheese and hot sauce? Are you kidding? I mean, just awesome. My wife is the best.

Great trip. Now we're back in Brooklyn and I promise, I'll be good about updates this week.

UPDATE: Just wanted to note a couple things I missed here:

1. Shauna made deviled eggs for the big Sunday dinner and although she hates eggs and does not eat them, she made very delicious deviled eggs. Meena watched what was happening and I hope they appear in our home very soon.

2. Kenton was indeed the foreman on the cake decorating construction site. Our nieces were tasked with handling most of the heavy lifting, but Kenton made sure it all came together in an edible way rather than descending into something that might have caused icing comas in unsuspecting eaters.

2 comments:

天然パーマンTENNEN PARMAN [from Japan] said...

Hi, I am Tennen-Perman, e-mail from Japan.
I visited your site sometimes so far.
You have a cool site.
I linked your site in my blog.
I administer a blog talking about cooking.
Please link to my site in your ones if you like it.

DELICIOUS_FOOD_COOKING
http://impact-cook.blogspot.com/

thank you!

Anonymous said...

Kenton would like some credit for supervising the psychedelic cake :)

Much love from the Flatlanders,

Shauna and Kenton