5.05.2009

BAKED SALMON FISH



I've probably noted this joke on the site before but I guess I'll do it again. Sometimes when we go to the bagel shop and Meena asks for baked salmon salad, the man behind the counter will ask in response, "baked salmon feeeeesh?" We're not laughing at his expense. We just love the way he says "feeeeeeeeeesh" with such enthusiasm. Anyway, that's why this post is called baked salmon fish. Now you know. And knowing ... I won't. You know.

Anyway, this one doesn't look all that spectacular. I'll have to work on that part. I feel like I've become OK at making grilled salmon look good on a plate. I'll need to do something about keeping the baked version from looking totally yucky when presented.

This one was super easy. I just threw the salmon in the oven in a foil packet with:
- salmon
- dijon mustard
- olive oil
- truffled salt
- black pepper
- rice vinegar
- red onion
- garlic
- chili powder

That cooked away in the oven at 500 degrees for about 15 minutes. Maybe longer. I don't remember. I checked on it a few times.

While that was going, Meena made a nice salad:
- romaine
- dressing (sugar, vinegar, canola oil, pepper, sea salt and garlic)
- cherry tomato
- bleu cheese
- red onion

I topped the salmon off with a bit of dijon mustard mixed with low fat mayo, rice vinegar, black pepper and olive oil. Just to give it a little kick.

This one came out pretty well. Not only was it super easy, it was full of flavor. That dijon, garlic and vinegar really cooked into the salmon and gave each bite a ton of taste. The salmon, while I can't recall how long it languished in the oven, actually came out perfectly cooked. Not dry, not undercooked. I was pretty pleased with that part.

Anyway, this is the easiest thing ever. When we lived in the West & East Villages, we did this all the time. Baked fish was a staple for us. I'm not sure why we got away from it but I promise you, this one is going to make a massive comeback in the months to come.

No comments: